Sunday, December 11, 2016

Trump's Intellectual Confusion

Great was the face-palming in my household this morning when I read that President-elect Trump says he doesn't need to attend intelligence briefings because, quote, "I'm, like, a smart person."

I wonder if on some level, Trump is genuinely confusing the two meanings of "intelligence" -- the intellectual capacity to learn new knowledge or skills, versus the collection of information?

Depending on context, the statement "You lack intelligence" could be an insult meaning "You're stupid," but it could also mean "You have not been given certain information." An "intelligence briefing" is meant to take care of definition number two, but perhaps Trump is somehow viewing it as definition number one, and thus an insult? "I don't need to be given 'intelligence,' which I already have because I'm, like, a smart person?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com