Sunday, June 01, 2008

Dodging Bullets In Slow Motion: I’m In The Matrix

Lordy, lordy, it’s just terrible how the younger generation always goes around dating people who are absolutely all-wrong for them. Get this: one night many years ago, my 20-year-old self was feeling glum because her Sort-Of Boyfriend at the time called to tell her he’d just got engaged, an effective but undeniably crass way to break off a relationship.

Poor thing. That’s why, if time travel’s ever invented, I plan to visit my younger self and cheer her up by telling her what I learned during a Googlebomb nostalgia trip the other night.

You know the ones I’m talking about, where you let your memory wander and then do a search for whatever names it brings back? In my case, such searches are often fruitless because so many of my old friends had rather common names of the “John Smith” variety.

But my former Sort-Of Boyfriend’s name is unusual enough to make it very easy to find online. And find it I did. It’s undeniably the SOB, as the biography on his business website made clear.

My, oh my.

Hee hee hee hee hee.

Here’s the thing about my younger self: even when I get the whole time-travel thing figured out, I’ll have to be careful regarding how to share my recent Googlebomb discovery with Young Me. She’s pretty resilient, but even she might have difficulty absorbing the one-two whammy of a crass breakup followed by the sight of her older self emerging from the glowing electric-blue time vortex that just materialized in the middle of her old college studio apartment.

But I’ll introduce myself to myself, somehow, and tell Young Me all about what’s wrong with America in 2008: torture, TSA, war, civil liberties, peak oil, economy, blah sadness and blah.

“Oh, that makes me feel a hell of a lot better,” Young Me will say. “That’s what you came back to tell me? There’s got to be more to it than that. Lemme guess: we’re also giving birth to the Antichrist, right? Fine. Christ, what a night I’m having. Tell me what bar I’m supposed to go to to pick up Satan, then. Tell me we at least get good jewelry out of this.”

(Tangential observation: Young Me was far more sarcastic than Current Me, but had much to learn concerning subtlety and the benefits thereof.)

I’ll be patient with my younger self. “No Antichrist. Nothing like that,” I’ll say. “Remember what I told you about the Internet? And blogs, and comments, and what they can reveal about someone’s personality and political outlook?”

“Yes. And I should start my own blog a lot earlier than 2006, and when I get Google ads don’t write anything making fun of them because doing that is how you got us banned from Google for life.”

“Well – yes. But that’s not what I came to the late 20th century to tell you. Listen: remember what I said about Fox News?”

“Although I like both shows and think their detractors are too uptight, Married With Children and The Simpsons really are going to destroy America, because their success will eventually lead to a wealthy news network that cheerleads the development of that scary Orwell stuff you were talking about.”

“Exactly. And remember those Fox News anchors I mentioned? Listen to this: in 2008, [SOB] will be a divorcee who posts on the network’s blogs to write things like ‘What shocking behavior. My children know better than to behave like that. Excellent show as usual, Greta.’”

Yes indeed.

“Excellent show.”
“As usual.”
Greta.”


And before I step back into the time vortex to return to the present day, Young Me and Current Me will do what Two Nights Ago Me did upon making this discovery: laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

EDIT: And after a night's sleep I see that nobody but nobody gets why I thought this was so funny: my younger self was depressed because she couldn't pursue a romantic relationship with the type of guy who went on to post "Get off my lawn" - style comments on the blog of Greta Van Susteren.

Apparently my modern taste in humor is about as good as my former taste in men. Sigh.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOB? HEY! ;-)

But seriously, I don't understand. Are you saying that SOB had a sex-change operation and took the name Greta or that SOB secretly was a female the whole time and you didn't know 'til now? If it isn't one of those, then what was so funny? I have to admit that I almost never watch Fox - for that matter I seldom watch television at all anymore - so I'm pretty clueless here.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Eh, nobody got the joke I intended, Smartass. It's like me learning my ex went on to become Rush Limbaugh or something. "Excellent show, Great Van Susteren?" Ick.

7:20 AM  
Blogger NoStar said...

Only thing funnier is if you had heard the sort of ex boyfriend call into a radio show and exclaim "Dittoes, Rush!"

12:05 PM  
Blogger dhex said...

ain't nothing like looking back to see just how badly the train you were on derailed.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like me learning my ex went on to become Rush Limbaugh or something.

I think I get it now. It's sort of like, if some chick thought Maynard G. Krebbs was really cool and then found out years later that he had changed from a Beatnik to a conservative stock broker.

2:18 PM  
Blogger NoStar said...

Maynard G. Krebs turned into Gilligan.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Gilligan still beats what MY ex turned into. Bwa ha ha ha ha!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, nobody got the joke I intended, Smartass.

Actually, I understood what you were saying, but I didn't take it so much as humorous as "Well it sounds like that worked out exactly as it should have".

I will admit calling someone saying "Ok, I'm breaking this off as I just got engaged" is not something that I actually had thought about. I guess it is pretty effective ;)

Ok, back to "I've got some things to do"

2:12 AM  
Blogger The NE Curmudgeon said...

For the record, I want it to be known that I got it, I got it, I got it! Hahahahaha!


Losing out on someone who ends up being a bootlicker for the bottom feeders at Faux News doesn't represent An Opportunity Lost. No, that falls into the category of An Embarrassing Relationship Avoided.

I mean, not even O'Reilly? At least he has ratings.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com