Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Back To Normal (Relatively Speaking)

When I strolled into the Registrar of Voters’ office this morning it was deserted except for two clerks, and a man dismayed to discover that the deadline for voter registration fell at noon yesterday, not noon today.

“I thought the deadline was today!” he said, and then uttered a perfect Homer Simpson-style “D’oh! Today’s Super Tuesday, isn’t it?” The clerk agreed.

So the man left, and I said “Hi, I’d like to register as an independent.”

The clerk looked incredulous – I got the definite impression she wasn’t expecting any business today – and I reminded her, “I told you last week I was switching back to independent as soon as I voted.”

“I didn’t think you meant the same day!

“Same hour,” I corrected her. “I’m not staying Republican any longer than I have to. No offense to any Republicans here.”

The other clerk thought this was very funny, and when she gave me the registration form she said “It takes 90 days to go through, you know.”

“That’s okay,” I said cheerfully. “So far as I’m concerned, the republicanism stops as soon as I sign this – here!” and I signed and handed it over, thus ending my Republican stint five days, 23 hours and 24 minutes after it began.

And I don’t even need to check the results to know it was all for nothing: Ron Paul didn’t win.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I don’t even need to check the results to know it was all for nothing: Ron Paul didn’t win.

I understand how you would feel that way; on the other hand if your vote was actually counted, then it wasn't for nothing. People will know that the winner is not a one-hundred-percenter - that's something. I remember several elections in the past when I had to write-in a candidate's name; given the way things were done in that county I'm almost certain those write-in votes weren't counted.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're closer to Bawston than I am. Is there another tea party scheduled any time soon? I'm up for it.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Oh, please. Modern Bostonians would respond to a tea tax by thanking the government for making this dangerous and unhealthful beverage too expensive for the proles to drink.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,
Think of your short stint as a republican as an investment for a brighter tomorrow.

NS

PS: I've said a prayer and asked God to forgive you of this sin.
Now say three "Ron Paul Revolution, Give us back our Constitution!" and send a $50 donation to either Dr. Paul's presidential campaign or his congressional campaign.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please. Modern Bostonians would respond to a tea tax by thanking the government for making this dangerous and unhealthful beverage too expensive for the proles to drink.

Aint it great how far we've come?

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com