Friday, August 25, 2006

Embarrassed Throat-Clearing; or, This Isn’t How I Mean To Come Across

I installed one of those free site-statistic programs that tells me how many people trouble to visit my blog each day. (The results were pretty humbling. If you’re reading this, thanks and I love you.) The program also shows the words which bring someone here because they found me on Google or another search engine — for example, a couple of days ago someone came here after searching “feral genius.” (Don’t worry about your privacy. I can’t see IP addresses or where people are from.) Another person came here after searching for some words I’d used in a post about Ayn Rand, Objectivism and sex.

Why do I mention this? No reason in particular. But here’s a totally unrelated question I never even thought to ask before I learned its answer today: whose blog is the very first listing you'll see if you go to Google and type in the search terms agonize paranoid destruction living a lie?

Oh my.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even more disturbing is the fact that almost that whole google page is blogs, except for the heart transplant support group.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't see IP or location? You should check out Sitemeter. It's free and it'll give you all that info...

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google for "professor office sex" and you'll be directed to a blog written by a friend of a friend.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to have a contest: who can come up with the strangest search terms that will intentionally lead to Raving of a Feral Genius?

My entry will be, "CIA goon drilling torture".

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

I'm really wondering what went through the head of the unfortunate soul who did a search for "agonize paranoid destruction living a lie." I know the guy used Google German, though his search terms were English.

If you're reading this, Herr Searcher--Hi! Welcome! I hope what you read here made you feel better.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the internet is profoundly disturbing. And at those moments you have to decide whether to laugh it off or sob heartily.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"(The results were pretty humbling. If you’re reading this, thanks and I love you.)"

Ah! It's been so long since a woman told me she loved me - many years, in fact. Sure feels good. I doubt that you meant it anymore than the last one did, but thank-you just the same. :-)

12:02 AM  
Blogger David Macharelli said...

Now you're the top 2 listings for that search.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Damn. Kinda cheapens it.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com